Thursday, March 30, 2006

Just because

I haven't posted in ages

In checking out the Saint Calender on Catholic Online I noticed that today happens to be the feast of St. Quirinus. Now I've never never heard of him but I certainly will remember his name for the next time I play one of those alphabet/name type word games.

St. Quirinus

Feastday: March 30

117

Roman tribune and martyr. According to the legendary Acts of Sts. Alexander and Balbina, he was reportedly the jailer of Pope St. Alexander I, being converted with his daughter, St. Balbina. Quirinus was buried in the Catacomb of Praetextatus on the Via Appia, and his name was listed in the Martyrologium Hieronymianum, as well as the Itineraries to the graves of the Roman martyrs. His relics were given by Pope Leo IX to his sister Gepa, abbess of Neuss, in 1050, and were placed in the Church of St. Quirinus in Neuss.

No comments: