Saturday, September 15, 2007

Beatification of Basil Moreau

God of wisdom and mercy, Who inspired Thy servant, Basil Moreau, to found the Religious and the Sisters of Holy Cross destined to save souls, we beseech Thee to glorify without delay this apostle of the Cross who for love of Thee suffered so many tribulations. Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
-Prayer for the Beatification of the Very Reverend Basil Moreau, C.S.C., 1947 Directory of the Congregation of the Holy Cross


Today this prayer was answered as Basil Moreau was beatified in Le Mans, France.

I am particularly thankful for this joyous event, even on a day darkened by a depressing defeat in football. I have come to admire and love the Congregation of the Holy Cross in my time here at Notre Dame. I hope that this pronouncement of their founder's sanctity will help revitalize their order (as it has already shown signs of promise in the last couple years) and will cause them to grow ever more steadfast to their mission.

This CSC Directory I have been using the past 2 days I picked up at the Moreau Seminary garage sale at the beginning of the semester. It's a lovely book. I just noticed the above prayer today - how fitting!


For more information on all of the celebration surrounding this event check out:
This release
http://moreau.nd.edu/



Prayer intentions of the day:
In thanksgiving for the beatification
For the Congregation of the Holy Cross
For my brother and his roommates who live in the dorm which bears Bl. Basil's name

No comments: