Friday, November 23, 2007

Miguel Pro & Musings




God our Father,
you gave your servant Michael Augustine
the grace to seek ardently your greater glory
and the salvation of your people.
Grant that, through his intercession
and following his example,
we may serve you and glorify you
by performing our daily duties with fidelity and joy
and effectively helping our neighbor.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.


Back somewhere around 8th grade I read the book by Ann Ball on Blessed Miguel Pro. I was quite taken by his courage, determination and spirit - his readiness to risk his life to be good shepherd - not unlike his Jesuit brother St Edmund Campion (another of my favorites) and so many others.


About an hour ago I returned to my aunt and uncle's from Mass at the Monastary of the Blessed Sacrament about 15 minutes up the road from here. There is a community of cloistered Dominican nuns. Mass, said by their chaplin a Dominican father, was very nice. The community seems to be doing quite well. I counldn't quite say how many nuns there are since they were seperated from the public; but it seemed like there was a good number of them. Hopefully I'll make it back tomorrow.

And while I'm on the topic of Dominicans, at the beginning of the week the Oxford Dominicans posted this on marriage and the priesthood.

No comments: